The Resurrection (The Resurrection Orthodox…
A brief history
The monastery was originally founded in Corrèze, in Aubazine in 1965 by a community of Greek-Melkite Catholic nuns, previously established in Morocco (since 1933) and in Palestine (Nazareth, since 1958).
The original purpose of this monastic community was a humble witness to the Christian faith facing Islam. This testimony is based on respect and love towards Muslims. The Arabic language was used partly in the Liturgical prayers, held according to the Byzantine rite, although the nuns were mostly French.
In Aubazine, the community has deepened its loyalty to the monastic tradition and Byzantine Liturgy, by constantly referring to Orthodox sources, translating the liturgical text into French and adapting them to Byzantine music.
In 1989, to stay loyal to the Orthodox heritage and to keep its relationship with the Arab world, the community of Aubazine joined the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch; from which the Greek-Melkite-Catholic church had separated, and thus in 1990 the community moved from Aubazine to the region of Carcassonne where it stays till today.
|The Resurrection (The Resurrection Orthodox Convent) – France|
|Abbess:||Rev. Mother Christine|
|Postal Address:||Monastère du Buisson Ardent
La Barthe Haute, 11600 Villardonnel, France
|Tel:||+33 4 68 26 61 31|
|Fax:||+33 4 68 26 25 32|
everyday life duties: cooking, cleaning, gardening etc.., and taking care of elderly and dependent sisters.
Iconography: painting icons by using natural paints and materials on the walls of the monastery chapel and the cloister, according to the Orthodox tradition. This work is still ongoing in (2011).
French Translation of the liturgical texts and adapting them to the Byzantine Music. Limited edition of this work is available.
Hospitality of guests, (4 or 5 rooms).
The Monastery is served by the reverend Fathers
Fr. Paul Bondu
Fr. Yves Capony
Deacon Philippe Péneaud
Patriarch John X Receives…
Statement Issued by the Holy…